December 11 – 11 Things What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life? (Author: Sam Davidson)
1. More TV – TV is my regular choice of “relaxation,” except that, usually, it isn’t relaxing. I’d love to see my choices evolve into less television, more reading, knitting, painting, etc.
2. As much as I’d hate for my husband to read this, I probably, truly, don’t need more clothes… (I do refuse, however, to admit that I don’t need more shoes. It’s against my religion.)
3. More friendships. I always feel lacking in this department, but I think what I need instead is to cultivate and care for the friendships I already have.
4. More Sleep. Ok – in some ways that’s a joke, I ALWAYS need more sleep. But I am beginning to realize that it’s just not going to happen, and I hate to imagine that I was spending these precious years of my children growing and my life so full longing, wishing, coveting more sleep. I’m ready to just get over it and live.
5. Stuff. We have an unbelievable amount of stuff. I’m in the mood to purge.
6. Fear. Who needs that? Ever?
7. Clutter. This goes with the “stuff” of #5, but it’s also the need for organization, clarity, space. For however much I’ve always been comfortable with lots of messiness, as my life gets busier and busier, I tolerate it less and less. I want to be able to cope with the real messiness of living and relationships without the messiness of stuff.
8. Excuses not to exercise. There aren’t any good ones anyway.
9. Excuses not to write. It’s time.
10. Worry about what other people think. I’m beginning to let go of that anxiety I’ve held forever. I’m beginning to live in my own shoes, in my own body, in my own calling, in my own me-ness. I don’t need to be anything else.
11. Guilt. (see #6)
How ’bout you? What could you do without in 2011?